Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 15

Level 1 Day 15

I dragged myself out of bed early this morning and got my shredding done before I got the kids up. I wish I could figure out why some days I just barely make it through. Yesterday, I felt pretty good about my performance. Today, I struggled.


Food

I started tracking my food yesterday on FitDay.com. It is a pretty nifty free tool. Assuming I input everything correctly (I had trouble estimating how much of each dressing component I used because I make a cup at a time), I ended the day at 1976 calories.

I was surprised to see the proportions of fat vs carbs vs protein for the day. If you asked me ahead of time, I would have guessed my carbs would have been out of control. But it was my fat intake that was way too high (of course the little bit of Italian Sausage I ate might have had something to do with that). I was at 48% of calories from fat, 26% from protein, and 26% from carbs. From a little bit of research I've done, I think my target is 25% from protein, 40% from carbs, and 35% from fat. I need to work on making sure my carbs come from fruits, veggies, and grains more than from processed crap too. I'm not looking to diet - I am looking to eat a little better but within the parameters of what I can do for life. I want to watch my portions and snacking but allow myself to continue to eat. I get cranky and rebellious when I try to restrict myself too much. I like food. I like to cook. I like to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Great job taking one day at a time! I have a suggestion for you: instead of 25/35/40 for your ratios, try 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. And realize that healthy calories are better than empty ones. I read a study yesterday showing that people who eat the SAME number of calories and work out the SAME, lose more weight when their calories come from quality food.

    But I digress. Try for the ratio above. Protein is essential when you are building muscle. It also helps you feel more full for longer periods of time. And try to eat a combination of protein, carbs, and healthy fats every time you eat. Snacking on an apple? Add a serving of Greek yogurt. Munching on some carrots? Dip them in hummus or black bean dip. You get the idea. This combination of foods helps us feel full longer, which helps cut down on cravings.

    Again, great job! I'm thinking of starting an anonymous weight loss blog, too. Will give you a shout if I do.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Speak.